Wednesday, September 29, 2010

The Perfect Protest

I'm part of a Perfect Protest this week.  (I'm so looking forward to my copy of Brene Brown's latest book arriving in the mail.)

One of the reasons why I am so attracted to young children is that they play so freely; they are so truly themselves.  Being perfect isn't part of their consciousness...yet.  Unfortunately, they soon learn that the way to measure up, to get the reward, to deserve the praise is to do it right.  To be perfect.  And in the process they lose part of themselves.  If we love them unconditionally, if we encourage their efforts, rather than focus on praising their products, they will learn they don't have to be perfect.  They will learn to love their imperfect selves.

By the way, when I googled the words: quote, play and perfect, all I seemed to get were quotes about sports. But then I found this:

"I admit it's tempting to wish for the perfect boss, the perfect parent, or the perfect outfit.  But maybe the best any of us can do is not quit, play the hand we've been dealt, and accessorize what we've got."  --Carrie in Sex and the City

Reminds me a little of Olivia.

5 comments:

  1. Really enjoyed your post!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great advice! I really need to join in this protest...

    ReplyDelete
  3. Kids can bring out the best in a person!! :D
    I just joined in on Brene's Perfect Protest. (Just found her blog last night, so I wasn't able to snap a picture). Once I hit a 30-something, I began to feel this way.
    I have learned there is a sense of peace that comes with accepting little imperfections. :D
    Have a great weekend!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. oh, i've just heard about this perfect protest - how fantastic! i am a 100% supporter of that!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh that was good - I needed that one right now actually. I struggle with perfectionism and it's one of the reasons I have trouble with the things I really want to do in life. To let go, and just be as I am? So powerful. I think of all the things I could accomplish.

    ReplyDelete

I do so appreciate each and every comment. Thanks!