Friday, April 22, 2011

For the Love of E-Courses

Ever since Miles was 3 and figured out how to use the computer mouse, he has referred to Internet Explorer as "blue e."  Makes perfect sense.

I recently bought Strengths Finder and took its accompanying assessment on-line.  (You have to buy the book in order to take the test.  By the way, I wish I'd known you can only take the test once.  I marked in the middle for many of the choices which I found out later meant they don't count in the scoring.)  My strengths (according to them) are

LEARNER--loves to learn followed by INTELLECTION--likes to think followed by INPUT--inquisitive, collect things including information

Another strengths assessment you can take on-line for FREE is the VIA Survey of Character.  I feel somehow happier about these results:

Appreciation of beauty and excellence
You notice and appreciate beauty, excellence, and/or skilled performance in all domains of life, from nature to art to mathematics to science to everyday experience.

 
Love of learning
You love learning new things, whether in a class or on your own. You have always loved school, reading, and museums-anywhere and everywhere there is an opportunity to learn.

Capacity to love and be loved
You value close relations with others, in particular those in which sharing and caring are reciprocated. The people to whom you feel most close are the same people who feel most close to you.


Caution, prudence, and discretion
You are a careful person, and your choices are consistently prudent ones. You do not say or do things that you might later regret.


Curiosity and interest in the world
You are curious about everything. You are always asking questions, and you find all subjects and topics fascinating. You like exploration and discovery.


Given my love of learning and my appreciation of beauty, it makes sense to me how much I enjoy e-courses.  They allow me to
  • think and learn something new
  • be inspired
  • play with art
  • enhance my creativity
  • meet some fabulous people
  • support artists and other creative people (especially given that my sister is an artist)
  • experience a sense of community
  • have a therapeutic space (can be challenging for me as a therapist and counseling professor in a rural community to find a therapist who doesn't know me or have heard of me)
  • gain ideas for use in my classes and presentations

I've enjoyed each course I've taken.  The places and people I have taken from/are taking thus far:

Each of these allow you to participate as little or as much as you wish.  They usually have a password-protected area for the partcipants to connect with one another.  Most of all, I encourage you to never stop learning.

"Anyone who stops learning is old, whether at twenty or eighty.
Anyone who keeps learning stays young.
The greatest thing in life is to keep your mind young."
~~Henry Ford




    1 comment:

    I do so appreciate each and every comment. Thanks!